Tuesday, January 17, 2012

in the kitchen

I've been having fun cooking in the kitchen on these snowy days.  Over the last several weeks I've been practicing a new method of making whole wheat sourdough bread.  The method uses a wild yeast biga and a soaker, whole wheat needs to be brought alive by starting the bread the day before, and allow the flour the and wild yeasts to ferment.  Everyone in our family loves good whole wheat bread.  I'll write more about this method and post more pictures of this process the next time I make it.    I also made a big batch of chicken, barley, rice and vegetable soup, and baked a butternut squash to eat as dessert (with butter and brown sugar) plus I'll have enough left over to add some to the soup tomorrow.  I love to make good smells in the kitchen on a snowy winter day. 

No comments: