Monday, September 26, 2011

A curious thing


Joon our black nigerian dwarf goat is getting white spots all over!  She's 2 and a half years old, and I think she's always been solid black, until now, you can see a few spots in this picture, but up close, she's getting them all over.  I'm not sure what's causing it, but we're kind of watching her new look unfold as more and more appear.  

She seems healthy and is eating alfalfa hay, some grass hay, and lots of salmon berry greens.  I give her dry cob at feedings, with a sprinkling of black sunflower seeds, along with a handful of alfalfa pellets.  All the goats have loose minerals to eat any time they want to. I'm milking her once a day and have been for the last couple months, she seems happy and frisky.  We're planning to have her bred the first part of October for kids to be due next March.  It will be interesting to see if her spots stay or disappear. 

3 comments:

goatgirl said...

That is a curious thing. I've never seen that but you know I like spots:)

goatgirl said...

BTW I saw Joon's momma at the fair and fell in love with her. When helping Melissa load goats to go home I tried to take her to my car instead. Didn't work:( She was reserve champion and a very lovely doe.

Jewel said...

Hi Goatgirl, I like her spots too! I am so happy to hear that her mom Extra Pennies was reserve champion. She is tiny, beautiful, and has such a nice personality, plus she has a real nice udder:)
(Only goat people would talk like that.) I'm hoping for the good gentetics to follow in her grandaughters.